PDA

View Full Version : Quercus License

samol
01-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi!

Quercus should be released under GNU license, right? So I'd like to know what exactly is published under GNU license?
The pre 4.0 archives (both src and war) have the GNU license. The 4.0.1 war has GNU license and src has Caucho Developer Source License. Both 4.0.3 packages (src and war) have Caucho Developer Source License.

The question is: which part of Quercus 4.0.3 is then released under GNU license?

Regards
Samo

nam
01-18-2010, 03:37 AM
The license should be GPL. We simply included the wrong license file.

samol
01-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Great! Could you please fix it for the next release, so that we can "legally" use it ;)

Regards
Samo

derickso
02-02-2010, 05:31 AM
I'm also confused by the website's descriptions of Quercus, in one location (http://quercus.caucho.com/) it says "Quercus is Caucho Technology's 100% Java implementation of PHP 5 released under the Open Source GPL license." but then on the products page (http://www.caucho.com/products/sales/) it is showing Quercus subscriptions for sale, and saying you need valid license keys to use it. Can you clarify which it is? And is there anything 'missing' from the 4.0.3 source release?

Also are you accepting patches to fix things?

nam
02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
There's Quercus Open Source and then there's Quercus Personal. Quercus Open Source is licensed under the GPL and is free to use. Quercus Personal requires a license and it is faster than Quercus Open Source because it compiles PHP files down to Java files.

On submitted fixes, we do not accept patches but we are happy to accept bug reports at http://bugs.caucho.com.

derickso
02-02-2010, 10:49 PM
So just to be clear, the only difference is that personal compiles .php into .java at build time? The open source version must do something similar, but does it do the compilation every time the page is loaded? It doesn't cache it or anything?

If you pay for the personal version do you get the source for whatever additional components contained only in personal?

nam
02-26-2010, 10:59 PM
The open source version does cache pages, albeit interpreted pages.

The source for the Personal version is available upon request.

walec51
02-27-2010, 10:09 AM
> On submitted fixes, we do not accept patches

Even if someone would agree to transfer his copy rights to the patch ?

nam
03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Most of the time is spent creating a test case, so a test case would be more helpful to us.

domdorn
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
So, where are the actual test cases? I wanted to create some for issues I found, but have not found any in your sources.

I really don't understand, why you don't take patches... you want to be an
open source project, right? so prove it! Even MySQL managed it, that
every contributor signs a small contract, that they can use his code in
the commercial version.

Setup a policy, how a patch must be done... e.g.
1. Provide a test case following our >testing guide<
2. Provide the patch including the revision where it applies cleanly
3. fill out the rights >form< or submit your files under BSD licence
4. submit these 2 or 3 parts >here<

It currently looks to me, as if quercus was only enhanced further by exactly 2 people.. nam and scott.. My patch for postgresql is now over two months in the bug tracker and no-one even looked at it, nor commented on it... thats not how a open source project works.

derickso
03-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm going to have to agree. I think Quercus is great, but there is a huge list of bugs (many blocking well-known PHP apps from running) and it seems like the current developers are over-committed.

pbelb
03-07-2010, 02:10 AM
open source means just that - that you get access to the source.

it does not automagically mean that anyone can become a contributor.

having said that, it can be argued that those projects that do have a mechanism for contributions are able to more quickly get things done because it means that so many more people will spend time working to improve the code.

domdorn
03-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Well... sure I could simply fork quercus and develop "my own" php version... but actually I want to help the guys at caucho get _their stuff_ fixed, not get in their way of doing a worthwhile business.

If one fork pops up, the next one is not far away... and a lot of forks splitting developer capacity is the last thing this project needs.

@Caucho: I'm willing to give all the copyright of my contributed code, etc. to you. I'm sure others think the same.. just let _us_ help _you_ making quercus the best way to use PHP on the Java plattform!