PDA

View Full Version : MySQLConnector and MySQL 5.1

smowton
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi,

Using Resin 3.1.11 and MySQL 5.1.14:

If I use MySQLConnector 5.1.17 is prints "Warning: Your MySQL Connector/J JDBC 5.1.17 driver may have issues with column/table aliases and DESCRIBE statements. The recommended JDBC version is 3.1.14"

If I use MySQLConnector 3.1.14 as suggested I get "Warning: A link to the server could not be established. url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/?characterEncoding=ISO8859_1&useOldAliasMetadataBehavior=true driver=com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlConnecti onPoolDataSource java.lang.IllegalStateException [mysql_connect]" whenever I call mysql_connect with a correct username and password.

So, questions:

1. IllegalStateException is as vague an error message as it is possible to write. How do I make Quercus or Resin expand that to something more informative?

2. Can I make connector 5.1.x shut up about the DESCRIBE thing somehow?

3. MySQL's documentation suggests that Connector/J 3.1.14 only works with MySQL version 5.0 and before. Is that true? Is that the cause of the exception? Again, how do I make it be less infuriatingly vague about the matter?

4. Is there any truth in the DESCRIBE warning? I've read in a few places that that's no longer accurate, but nobody really seems to know what's true.