PDA

View Full Version : JSP compilation problem

igor
02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Hello, I need to pre-compile JPSs. I've invoked the following command (from resin root):

> java -cp %CP% com.caucho.jsp.JspCompiler -app-dir webapps\ROOT -class-dir .jsp

What I've noticed is that JspCompiler is *starting* my web application. Soon, starting fails and compilation won't even start. Of course, deployed web application runs usually without a problem.

[1] why JspCompiler starts my deployed web application? Usually, on other app server, jsp compilation is independent from running the web application. Am i doing it right? Can I prevent start of web application and just force jsp compilation?

[2] Does '-app-dir' point to web application root, i.e. the root of whole web application; with web-inf and libs, i.e. where web application is deployed?
OR it may point just to 'docroot', the folder that contains just jsps, taglibs etc (not a full, deployed, application).

Resin 4.0.14

Thank you!

igor
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
addendum: i was able to run JspCompiler without the error, but still the whole web application started, and that takes a lot of time. Moreover, after compilation is done, web application is still up.

[3] Is it possible to pass a list of jsp files to the JspCompiler?

reza
02-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Igor,

* As far as I can tell, the JSP compiler does not start a Resin instance. It does init and destroy a web application instance under the hood. Are you sure this is what is happening? I'll test this some more and I will enter a bug report if this is really the case.
* Yes, you can specify a set of space-separated JSP names to the compiler via the command-line.
* '-app-dir' points to web application root.

Thanks,
Reza

reza
02-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Igor,

I can't see how I can reproduce what you seem to be observing. JSP compile works fine for me and no resin instance is started (as I mentioned, the web app is initialized under the hood to resolve all runtime dependencies).

If you can tell me how to reproduce the bug, I'll try it again.

Thanks,
Reza

igor
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM
> It does init and destroy a web application instance under the hood.

Ok, probably this is what is happening, since no app is available on 8080. But it's interesting that I make initialization fail early by not providing all the jars in my ant task, however the compilation still works in the background (this significantly shortes compilation time). i just wonder if this is really necessary? afaik usually jsp compilers doesn't init application - and in my case this would create the demo database, creation of necessary folders etc.

> '-app-dir' points to web application root.

yes, my experience tells me that when app-dir points to webapps root, initialization may finish correctly. since i do not want that, i was able to run compiler and have app-dir to points just to source folders where .jsps are (explained above).

if some one wants to test this, it would be easy. again, its liferay project:) so, assuming all latest trunk sources are available, then:

+ create file app.server.<userprofile_name>.properties in portal folder

+ add following line: app.server.type=resin

+ unzip and prepare resin:
cd portal
ant -f build-dist.xml unzip-resin

+ compile
cd portal-web
ant compile-resin

reza
02-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Igor,

I'm not a 100% sure the web application init is really needed. I've entered a low-priority bug for it here: http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=4397.

Feel free to track it.

Thanks,
Reza