PDA

View Full Version : Subdomain configuration on Webapp level

LCID Fire
12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
My webhoster setup Resin, so it now works with the www subdomain. I'd now also like other subdomains to work with Resin - and they told me it should work to edit something in web.xml to get Resin to listen to another subdomain of my virtual host. Could you tell me what this something is?

ferg
12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Does you ISP give you access to the resin.xml or to host configuration?

The web.xml is only for the specific web-app configuration; it doesn't configure virtual hosts. Since I'm not sure what access your ISP is giving you, it's hard to answer this question fully.

It's possible for the ISP to configure the resin.xml to give you full control over the virtual hosts without giving you full control over the resin.xml. (The <host-deploy> tag for example would give a directory where you could add virtual hosts.)

LCID Fire
12-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Does you ISP give you access to the resin.xml or to host configuration?
No they don't. And since they have almost no clue about configuring resin I fear the host-deploy is not an option either :(

Isn't there a way to override the resin.xml via an apache handler or sth.?

emil
12-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Isn't there a way to override the resin.xml via an apache handler or sth.?

Unfortunately, no. The other option would be to use Apache's virtual hosts and just have Resin serve the "default" host, which is any host. Then you'd need to run a Resin instance for each virtual host, though.

Emil

michael.lowden
01-08-2010, 09:02 PM
the only place i've found to setup virtualhosts is in the actual resin-conf ... not within one of the webapps itself. the next best thing i've found is parallel to the "ROOT" folder of your virtual host, i was able to replicate that folder as "DEV". but that only allowed the context of DEV to exist: http://www.myhost.com/DEV/ ... though, if you aren't using absolute paths in your URLs (ex: '/images/someImage.png') it should work nicely as it did for me. AND seems to run side-by-side as an independent web-app with it's own WEB-INF and such.