PDA

View Full Version : Deployment of 'root' or 'ROOT' .war - is it possible?

SkillAdvance
08-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I am using Resin 3.1.9 on my laptop (under Windows XP) and on my ISP's server, same version, but on Linux.

This is a shared hosting service provided by my ISP.

I have a WAR file that runs fine with any name other than 'ROOT.war'. Of course, the URL's then resolve to http://www.host.org/<WAR> - I want the URL's to not have a path (<WAR> file) appended.

My ISP claims that there is a bug in Resin - in 2.1.6 onwards - that prevents this - please see a message in their forum at http://ow.ly/2w750 (dated Feb 2004).

Even if that was an issue - in 2004 - surely there's a fix now, or are they just ducking the issue?

The app works fine with a manual upload, page by page - however, that's a real PITA!

Thanks for any advice that might allow me to prevent this scurrilous rumor!

emil
08-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi,

Yes, naming the war as "ROOT.war" should deploy to the "/" url. If there was ever a problem/bug with this in Resin 2.1.6, it's definitely fixed by now. 2.1.x is incredibly old and well past end-of-life. I don't know if your ISP can upgrade, but we don't recommend anyone using 2.1 for a new deployment.

Best,
Emil

SkillAdvance
08-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks, Emil - my ISP is running 3.1.9 but the message I referred to was their most recent "excuse" and sent in 2004.

I'm going to refer them back to your post.

Regards

Jeremy

emil
08-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Yup, 3.1.9 should expand the ROOT.war just fine to the "/" (root) mapping.

Take care,
Emil

SkillAdvance
09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
My hosting provider is making a configuration change to (I guess) resin.conf, since I don't have access to that file myself. More info when I have it (just for other's who may be following the same path as myself).

SkillAdvance
09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
My ISP finally resolved the issue - see message below

we're just commenting out a single line in your configuration entry in resin.conf so that it now looks like this:

<host id='lcgrr.org' root-directory="/home/lcgrr0/public_html">
<host-alias>www.lcgrr.org</host-alias>
<!-- <web-app id='/' document-directory='/home/lcgrr0/public_html/'/> -->
</host>

Maybe one should be careful what one asks for - now the webapp is working as I initially requested, I've got another issue and will open a new thread for some suggestions.

Thanks