PDA

View Full Version : Resin breaks if I change any of the settings

lordsnake
08-14-2010, 04:42 PM
I have several installations of Railo/Resin, and if I change any of the settings in the conf file then when i restart all I get from my sites is

Server is currently unavailable or down for maintenance

e.g even a simple change like this causes it to break
change from
<dependency-check-interval>2s</dependency-check-interval>
to
<dependency-check-interval>600s</dependency-check-interval>

If I remove the change then everything works again.
I have posted on the Railo list but was told to post here as it is a resin issue.

emil
08-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi,

Resin isn't "breaking" -- it's restarting automatically to incorporate changes that you've made to the configuration. This message is given while Resin is in the restart process. If you don't want it to update on your live site, change your <dependency-check-interval> to -1. Resin will restart automatically once, then never again. You'll have to restart Resin manually in the future each time to use any configuration changes.

Emil

lordsnake
08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
A restart normally takes less than 30 seconds, even if I undo the changes it still takes 30 seconds. I have left the server for several hours after making config changes and it never started working, I find it hard to believe that resin requires hours or even days to restart after a config change as this would make it unusable.

emil
08-23-2010, 09:01 PM
If the changes you made are not syntactically correct or there's another problem, that would cause Resin never to restart properly. If Resin hangs, please send us a thread dump and we can try to correct the problem.

Emil

lordsnake
08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
there is definitely no syntax errors.
In most cases I am just changing numbers

e.g.
change 600 to 2
change 256 to 512

Bizzarely I had someone else login to the server and try, and he made the exact same changes and it restarted just fine for him. He also edited in notepad the same as me and did nothing different, very weird.

emil
08-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure why it wouldn't restart or restart quickly then. If it happens again, please try to take a thread dump and that will help us diagnose the problem.

Emil

lordsnake
08-23-2010, 10:31 PM
sure, can u tell me how? I don't really know Resin well yet, we use Railo which installs with Resin.

emil
08-23-2010, 11:42 PM
First run jps to find the PID of Resin, then run jstack with that PID. That will dump the state of all the threads. Both of those come with the JDK and you'll have to run both of them from the command line if you're using Windows.

Emil